Monday, February 24, 2014

San Juan Hills- The Spot

Every Tuesday morning, I wake up before sunrise.  Now, I’ve never been a morning person, and I probably never will be.  I’m still more likely to be falling asleep at sunrise than waking up.  Once per week, that all changes.

On Tuesdays, I skip the normal routine and take a drive to a small breakfast place across the train tracks.  There are usually a few patrons drinking some coffee in the back corner and a pair of cops sits in the only booth eating their choice of breakfast.  I sit down and watch the sunrise through the window over a cup of tea.  

At around 6:30 am,  few high school boys make their way through the doors one at a time.  High fives are exchanged, stories are shared, bagels are devoured.  I catch up with these friends of mine and talk to them about life.  Sometimes I share from the Bible, sometimes we open with prayer.  No matter what, we always share time together.  I drive one or two kids to school, and then I go home and take a nap - it’s tradition.



The Bagel Shack is just a spot where I meet a bunch of boys once a week, but it’s our spot, and we’ll keep waking up early to keep it that way.




-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment